Certificate in Medical Assistant
The Medical Assistant Certificate program is a 3-semester course of study designed to prepare entry-level medical assistants in the cognitive, (knowledge), psychomotor, (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains outlined in the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB) core curriculum for medical assistants. Students will learn administrative, clinical, and laboratory skills to work effectively in ambulatory care.
The Medical Assistant Certificate program is designed for students pursuing short-term education and a career in healthcare. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts strong growth for medical assistants nationally through 2024. There is an increased demand for credentialed medical assistants to work in ambulatory facilities locally and nationally and students who complete the Medical Assistant Certificate program are eligible to sit for a credentialing examination recognized by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
The Medical Assistant Certificate program consists of 35 semester credit hours. Thirty-two credit hours will be delivered by lecture and laboratory methodologies with some course content delivered online in a hybrid format. The remaining 3 credit hours include the completion of a 210-hour unpaid practicum in a primary care office (*Note: practicum hours are completed during daytime hours, usually 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.). Upon successful completion of the program, the student is prepared to seek national certification.
Medical Assistant Program Curriculum Plan
(Total 35 Credit Hours)
- ALH 150: Clinical Procedures I (3)
- ALH 110: Medical Terminology (3)
- ALH 111: The Human Body in Health and Disease (3)
- ALH 105: Medical Office Procedures I (3)
- ALH 107: Pharmacology with Mathematics (3)
- ALH 151: Clinical Procedures II (3)
- ALH 152: Clinical Laboratory Procedures III (3)
- ALH 156: Phlebotomy (3)
- ALH 106: Medical Office procedures II (3)
- PSY 103: Introduction to Psychology (3)
- ALH 155: Medical Assisting Professional Preparation (2)
- ALH 199: Medical Assisting Externship (3)
(210 Hours unpaid. Day Hours only)
Click HERE for Gainful Employment Disclosures