Celebrating 100 Years 1896-1996 (PDF)
Good Samaritan College of Nursing and Health Science has adapted to serve the evolving needs of both aspiring health care professionals and the Greater Cincinnati community for over 117 years. The College is committed to being the regional leader in providing nursing and health care education in a unique Catholic and hospital-based college environment.
- 1852: St. John’s Hotel for Invalids established after Archbishop John Purcell donated a small hospital building located at Broadway and Woodward to the Sisters of Charity.
- 1866: Two local bankers, impressed with the medical care given to a friend, purchased a 95-bed hospital at Sixth and Lock. This institution was named the Hospital of the Good Samaritan and donated to the Sisters of Charity.
- 1896: Good Samaritan School of Nursing was established. The first graduates (there were eight!) received diplomas three years later. Since then, more than 6,000 nurses have graduated from the institution.
- 1915: The hospital and school moved to the current Clifton site.
- 1942: The school was granted NLNE conditional Accreditation (the National League for Nursing Education was the precursor to the current National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission).
- 1945: The school was granted full accreditation with the NLNE, (1 of only 100 out of 1300 schools in the country at the time).
- 2001: The Good Samaritan College of Nursing and Health Science was formed as a private independent college and received approval from the Ohio Board of Regents and the Ohio Board of Nursing to grant the Associate of Applied Science in Nursing degree.
- 2006: GSC was accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and became a member of the North Central Association.
- 2006: GSC's Nursing Program was accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission.
- 2011: GSC was reaccredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a member of the North Central Association, and the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission for the maximum periods allowable.
- 2012: GSC was authorized by the Ohio Board of Regents to grant a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree and an Associate of Science in Health Science degree.
- 2013: GSC was accepted by the Higher Learning Commission to grant a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree and an Associate of Science in Health Science (ASHS) degree.
- 2014: Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Program accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). There were six graduates in the first BSN graduating class.
Location and Facilities
Good Samaritan College of Nursing and Health Science reside on the 8th floor of Good Samaritan Hospital at 375 Dixmyth Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45220. The college campus is fully equipped with a Resource Center, Student Lounges, Auditorium (max seats 164), Library (3rd floor of hospital), Science & Skills labs, Conference Rooms, Faculty Offices and Classrooms. These facilities utilize space on the 8th, 9th and 10th floors.
Equipment Available for Instructional Use
The College has monitors on hand (some that are portable for easy access). The Media Center includes a range of formats and a variety of educational materials. A student copier is located in the Media Center and in the Library. Curriculum-related use takes precedence over personal enrichment activities. Media programs leave the Center only by arrangement with the Media Coordinator. The Skills Labs contains four high-fidelity (two Adults, one Child and one Infant), and seven mid- fidelity simulators. Students have use of a computer-assisted IV Insertion simulation and 16-IV arms that are used for skills.